Wednesday 10 March 2010

Fancy Frames

March is a really really expensive month for me. Not only do I have four immediate family members’ Birthdays, but it’s also my two goddaughters’ Birthdays, various friends’ Birthdays, and Mother’s Day and then right at the start of April it’s Easter. So I like to think about ways in which to give, without making my bank manager really cross. Over the next week I'm going to show you some ways I've been eeking out the pennies this month :)

You can buy some really cheap frames these days and alter them to make nice cheap presents or just use them to decorate your own house. And I bet you have some in the house right now. I know I do!
My frames are from IKEA (Nyttja, £2.79 for pack of two and ). With the coloured frames I like to decorate just half of the frame but if your frame is unpainted, or wooden and you want to cover both sides you could use the same piece of patterned paper and continue it, or use two contrasting pieces.

You will need:
Frame
Up to two coordinating patterned papers
Glossy accents (or similar)
Ribbon and other embellishments
Sanding tool
Staz on

Method 1- Using up the scraps: I have drawers full of scraps. I can't bring myself to throw them away because I might need them! Some of them are large enough to use for frame decorating. For this I cut four strips and lay them on the frame so that the edges are flush with the inside of the frame, and use double sided tape to hold them in place.
Turn the papers over and line the frame up on top of it. Draw around the frame, cut out the pieces and then cut across the corner at an angle. At this point I usually ink the inner edges of the paper. It's hard to do this later on. Use glossy accents or similar to stick the scraps on to the frame, lining the paper up with the inside of the frame. Once it's dried a little, sand the edges of the paper using a sanding tool.


Try not to take the paint of the frame, but don't worry if you do. With Staz on ink the edges of the frame/paper, paying special attention to anywhere where the paints been sanded away. Then add any embellishments you like to decorate it.

Method 2: Larger pieces

Take the back and the plastic out of the frame. Lay the frame face down on the back of the paper and draw around the outside of the frame and the inside opening. If you're using two coordinating pieces of paper, the bottom piece should come about 2/3rd of the way up the frame. Cut out the frame. Use glossy accents to attach the patterned paper to the frame and flaten out any bubbles with your finger. If you're using two pieces of paper do the top piece first and then the bottom, overlapping the bottom piece with glossy accents on the paper on the top of the frame.
Once it's dried a little, sand the edges of the paper using a sanding tool. Try not to take the paint of the frame, but don't worry if you do. With Staz on ink the edges of the frame/paper, paying special attention to anywhere where the paints been sanded away.
Now it's time to decorate your frame in any way that you like. It's nice to add a ribbon to seperate the two colours or even some bling or buttons. Whatever works with what you're planning on putting in the frame.

No comments: