Monday 16 May 2011

Scrap Factor Week 4: Story Telling

For me the whole point of scrapbooking is telling a story and to that end the photos that I use are really important. Sometimes I let the photo tell the story and write very little journalling actually. The Week 4 challenge in UKScrappers' Scrap Factor forced me to focus on the journalling but I also wanted to make sure that my photos and embellishments told a story too.

I know that the Royals aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’m a fan. I love the pomp and ceremony. I love the international attention that they bring. For this LO I used a series of photos to tell the story of my trip to London to be a part of the Royal Wedding. I chose photos that remind me of things that happened and photos of the key events. My photo of the kiss was from quite a distance and there are flags and cameras in the way of my shot, so for that one I took a photo of the TV screen but the others are photos that I took on the day from my front row vantage point. I was so glad that I’d made the effort to go and was very proud to be standing ‘On the Nation’s red carpet’. To create the area for my journaling I cut out a shape on scrap paper to use as a mask and then sprayed Glimmer Mist around the edges. My journaling is meant to be a little tongue in cheek because of the challenge being about story telling this week. It reads ‘ (Once upon a time…) there was a Berkshire girl who met her Prince Charming whilst studying at University. They became engaged and set a date to be married. Meanwhile in another part of Berkshire and excitable woman decided that she wanted a front row seat for this wedding and so she set off up to London with layers of clothes a sleeping bag and a bean bag the night before the wedding. Deciding to set up camp beside some South Africans, two Canadians and some fellow Brits our heroine quickly made friends with her neighbours and began soaking up the atmosphere and sharing the free flowing champagne. Breakfast followed a few hours’ sleep and the champagne drinking began again. Excitement levels rose and good humour reigned. Police came by with lunch bags; her Majesty’s armed guard marched up The Mall, and the Band of the Irish Guard played their way down the avenue. All around her, Union Jacks were being waved as guests made their way to the wedding. Even the road sweeper was greeted with cheers. Our leading lady was amongst those who helped the Lance Corporal position his men equally by counting as he swung his spacer between each man. Oh how she laughed! As Princes Charles, William and Harry left Clarence House and The Queen made her way to Westminster Abbey in glorious yellow, the excitement rose again. And finally there she was. Kate Middleton with a veil of Chantilly lace and lace from her neck all the way to her wrists, smiling and waving and bringing tears to our protagonists eyes. She loved the service and the prayer and joined in with the hymns throughout the services. She loved the clatter of hooves that announced the arrival of the newlyweds in the carriage.’ And next to the photo in the bottom corner I’ve noted my favourite moment of the day: the promise of a very modern monarchy to come. I also added rub ons and stickers to the photos for added story-telling and an arrow that says ‘right here’ to show where I was on The Mall and I included some lace to represent the lace of the wedding dress too.

I wasn't entirely happy with this layout if I'm honest and I thought that I would struggle in voting. I really appreciate everyone who voted for me, thank you.

Supplies:
My Mind’s Eye Stella Rose- Hazel ‘ Mother’ Ledger
My Mind’s Eye Stella & Rose Label Stickers- Hazel ‘Lovely’
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist ‘Chalkboard’ Charcoal
Making Memories ‘Once upon a time…’
Webster’s Pages Fabric Tickets ‘Trendsetter’
Webster’s Pages ‘Leaders’ patterned paper
Prima Marketing e line designer rhinestones
Prima Marketing ‘Athena Flowers- Powder Puff’
Prima rose leaves
Glitz designs rhinestone flower
Glitz designs Peek.A.Boo ‘scarlett’ transparencies
Bubbly Funk chipboard crown
EK Success Label Lingo ‘Zen’
October Afternoon Word Stickers ‘Campfire’
October Afternoon ‘Rub on Transfers
7gypsies 97% complete ‘Photographie’ & ‘School (Ecole)’ stickers
7gypsies Rubbings Ink ‘Family’ and ‘Family Matters’
Crate Paper stickers ‘Restoration’
Crate Paper alpha labels ‘Portrait Collection’
Adorn It with Carolle’s Creations Run on alphas
Papermania Rub On transfers ‘New Baby Block’
Rub on Sentiments from Royal &Langnickel ‘ Birthday sentiments’
K&Co. K.ology ‘Hannah’ Rub on Transfers
Scenic Route ‘Travel Mini Words’ colour rub-ons
Royal crest from an old map
Map page showing The Mall from an old A to Z
American Crafts Thickers ‘Lullaby’ Charcoal
Sassafrass ‘Script’ mini alpha stickers
East of India Mini Union Jack flags cut in to bunting
Queen & Co Charms ‘Kissy Fit’

No comments: